Sunday, June 6, 2010

Robyn - The Rehabilitated Runner

It's been a while since I wrote. Some more knee issues and an itis in my ankle tendon. And lots of feeling sorry for myself. But I've sucked it up and emerged from my cocoon of negativity! I have shed the caterpillar of misery! I am the butterfly of good thoughts! The moth of optimism!

Or at least I'm trying to be. I've had several messengers telling me to get over myself and while I secretly seethed as they were telling me this, they're right. This milestone is not going to be achieved by being a sucky grump. I know it's been the theme of this blog but you'll just have to deal.

To date I've been focusing on the things that are going wrong, that make me crazy, that are just plain dumb about this whole running thing. And look where it's got me! Hobbling about, swelling up, bruising, deep water running. Obviously this strategy isn’t working for me. So I’m subscribing to the Power of Positive Thinking. We’ll see how I do because in the past I’ve struggled with that way of moving through the world. Yes, I’ve seen The Secret; I even own a copy. But I believe that some of life’s biggest learnings and areas of growth come through toil and trauma and just plain wallowing. I think it’s okay to allow yourself to do that every now and then. Why, I did it just last Friday! For the whole night! By myself! It was............good..............

So now I have to turn these thoughts around. Here are my biggest whines thus far with my new thinking:

Having to watch what I eat –I will lose my cellulite that much quicker if I stop eating pizza pops for breakfast, using cheese like I would salt and pepper, and drinking gin.

Spending lots of money on running stuff – If I look the part, I become the part. I’ll be safer....and dayum, I’ll look good....

Injuries – I get a lot of attention wearing bandages and limping.

The agony of regular Active Release Therapy – At the end of my sessions I can usually get a small little neck massage out of my chiropractor under the guise of an “adjustment”.

Trying to fit it all into my very busy, very important life – I can blame having to run in order to get out of things I don’t want to do.


This body of mine really is a wondrous thing. I look how far I’ve come in a year and a bit in terms of strength and endurance. Wowee. I know it will take me where I need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment